Maylands Tram Barn
The Maylands Tram Barn at 179 Magill Road, Maylands, is one of the few remaining reminders of Adelaide’s public transport system at the turn of the 20th century.
The solid shelter was built in 1882 to accommodate horses that pulled trams around a network of roads.
The first horse tram ran from Adelaide to Kensington in 1878 and the practical system developed until 1909, when the advent of electric trams enabled horses to consider their retirement plans.
The tram barn façade remains intact, despite the site being developed into townhouses in the 1980s.
The only other tram barn which remains today is situated along Main North Road, Prospect.